It was in 1864 that Eloy Lecanda founded the legendary Bodegas Vega Sicilia, the sole symbol of the golden legend of Spanish red wine. Throughout its long history, the company has belonged to various different owners, but its singular personality and its elegance have endured through the decades and centuries to forge one of the most exclusive legendary wines in Spain, l’Unico.Bought back in 1982 by the Alvarez Mezquíriz family, the estate was subjected to a strategy of harmonisation of techniques based as much on innovative processes as on a traditional winemaking process. Since 1982, the winery has been extended, and the more than 100-year-old vineyards have been progressively replanted.

Mainly spread over the area of Valbuena de Duero in the province of Valladolid, the property of Bodegas Vega Sicilia spans over 2500 acres, of which 40 are dedicated to the production of the famous Unico. Amongst the varietals planted, 80% of the vineyard is dedicated to Tinto Fino, an indigenous grape variety, as well as Tempranillo de la Ribera. The remaining 20% is made up of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Malbec.Since 1991, Bodegas Vega Sicilia has expanded its influence and now owns other well-known estates on the Iberian peninsula such as Alion, a cousin of Vega Sicilia, which produces more ‘modern’ wines, and Pintia, in the Toro region.

Bodegas Vega Sicilia continues its expansion, and since 1993, it owns and produces Tokaji on the Oremus estate in the region of Tokaj-Hegyalja, located in northeastern Hungary.

Discover the other producers from Ribera del Duero and specially Winner WinesVinedos y Bodegas SABodegas y Vinedos Alion and Dominio de Pingus.

Wines from Vega Sicilia