The history of the Gaja family goes back to 1859, when the estate was founded by Giovanni Gaja. After the 2nd World War, Giovanni Gaja, the founder's grandson, undertook a series of plot acquisitions in order to make a qualitative leap in scale of production. Angelo Gaja, the founder's great-grandson, joined the company in 1961. He soon found himself at the head of one of the largest and most beautiful Barbaresco estates. Angelo quickly introduced and experimented with new production techniques (green harvesting, plot production, malolactic fermentation, use of French barrels, temperature-controlled fermentation, ...). Considered as a modern producer in a classic and traditional region, Angelo Gaja was highly criticised at the very beginning of his career. Nevertheless, success was there and the great guides and competitions gave him the international recognition he deserved for this visionary and charismatic man.
The Gaja family also developed in Tuscany, more precisely in Maremma, with the acquisition of the Ca'Marcanda estate (Camarcanda, Magari, Promis) in 1996, when the first vines were planted.